What is Clean Keto Snacking?
To explain the answer to this question, it is easier to first explain the difference between clean and dirty keto. Generally speaking, there are two ways to eat keto: clean and dirty. The main difference between the two is that one is focussed on eating natural whole foods, whereas the other refers to a diet consisting of less wholesome, and more processed foods.
Here are some of the downsides to a dirty keto diet:
- Eating primarily dirty keto food contributes to inflammation and nutritional deficiencies
- A dirty keto diet can lead to poor recovery from exercise, chronic pain, inflamed joints, metabolic issues (and this is just to list a few!)
- Lots of conveniently packaged keto foods contain alternative sugars that may kick you out of ketosis without you knowing it
- There’s a ton of unknown food additives, so even if you’re hitting your macros, there is limited nutrition and micronutrients
Essentially, with a dirty keto diet, our cells are not being properly fueled!
When applying this concept over to snacking, it is the same idea. Clean keto snacking is much more likely to give your body the micronutrients it needs, which will ultimately lead to greater health benefits. However, we know that when the mid day hunger hits, it’s sometimes easiest to grab whatever is most convenient; most of the time it’s the highly processed, less nutritious foods.
To help with that, here is a list of clean keto snack ideas:
Almost no preparation is required for any of them so you won’t have to worry about not being able to fit them into your busy schedule!
- Hard boiled eggs
- Some fatty cold cuts
- A few slices of cheese
- Some olives
- A handful of raw nuts (ones that are low in carbs ie. macadamia, pecans, brazil nuts)
- Avocado with a sprinkle of Himalayan salt
- Crispy chicken skins, our personal favorite! (0-1g net carbs, 0g sugar, and 13g of protein from 100% real chicken)
With these easy ideas above, it’s not hard to choose clean keto snacking when your next round of cravings hit. It’s always better to place an emphasis on good food quality, and you’ll thank yourself in the future for supplying your body with the ingredients and nutrients that it deserves.